Eva Marie Uzcategui/AFP by way of Getty Photographs
NPR will likely be overlaying and celebrating Latino tradition and historical past all through Nationwide Hispanic Heritage Month, which begins right this moment.
Hispanic Heritage Month began as one week and was expanded in 1988. It begins on Sept. 15 to coincide with the nationwide independence days of Guatemala, Honduras, El Salvador, Nicaragua and Costa Rica.
The Pew Research Center has been monitoring key information and figures on U.S. Latinos for years. Listed below are a number of the newest highlights:
Word: Pew makes use of the phrases “Hispanic” and “Latino” interchangeably; read more about the uses and meanings of those labels here from NPR.
- The U.S. Hispanic inhabitants has grown considerably within the final decade, from 50.5 million in 2010 to 62.1 million in 2020. Hispanics accounted for 51% of whole U.S. inhabitants development throughout that interval.
- 4 out of 5 Latinos are U.S. residents. As of 2019, 80% of Latinos dwelling within the U.S. are residents. The quantity contains individuals born within the U.S. and its territories, these born overseas to American mother and father and immigrants who’ve develop into naturalized residents.
- The variety of Latinos who establish as multiracial has additionally elevated, from 3 million to greater than 20 million. That is seemingly due partly to changes in the 2020 census form.
- All 50 states and Washington, D.C., have seen development of their Hispanic populations within the final decade. That is very true for Florida, California and Texas, which noticed will increase of greater than 1 million between 2010 and 2020. North Dakota and South Dakota have seen the quickest development of their Hispanic populations throughout this time, although they’re nonetheless among the many smallest within the nation.
- Newborns are driving a lot of this Hispanic inhabitants development, as immigration declined between 2010 and 2019. This can be a reversal of historic traits.
- The share of Latinos within the U.S. who converse English proficiently can be rising. Some 72% of Latinos ages 5 and older spoke English proficiently as of 2019. In the meantime, the share of Latinos who converse Spanish at dwelling has declined (however the precise quantity has grown).
- The share of U.S. Hispanics with school expertise has elevated since 2010. The variety of Latinos enrolled in school additionally elevated from 2010 to 2019, from 2.9 million to three.6 million.
- Individuals of Mexican origin made up virtually 62% of the nation’s general Hispanic inhabitants as of 2019. The subsequent largest group is these of Puerto Rican origin. The quickest inhabitants development amongst U.S. Latinos has come amongst these with origins in Venezuela, Guatemala and Honduras.
This story initially appeared on the Morning Edition live blog.